CPD, IIRSM & Institute of Hospitality Approved
In December 2008 the Food Standards Agency agreed a National Food Hygiene Scheme. It is
now running in all areas of Wales, Northern Ireland and in 99% of England.
In practice the rating scheme is designed to ensure that businesses that are broadly compliant with
food law and are managing food safety risks will receive a rating of three … and those who are
managing the risk well will receive a rating of four or five. However, significant lapses in any of the
scoring criteria can also have a significant effect on the rating.
This Achieving National Food Hygiene Rating Level 5 course is intended to give you an overview of how the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
works, what the scoring criteria are and how these are assessed by the inspectors, the appeals
process, the Safer Food Better Business management system, E-Coli and concludes with some
practical advice for ensuring your premises gets the best score possible.
While taking this Achieving National Food Hygiene Rating Level 5 course should prepare you well to be able to achieve the higher food hygiene
ratings this course does not guarantee a 5 rating and that we accept no liability for lower ratings
By the end of this Achieving National Food Hygiene Rating Level 5 course, you will be able to
- Identify Food Hygiene ratings and understand what they mean.
- Define the scoring criteria and how decisions on the final score are made.
- State how scores can be appealed.
- Understand how to apply Safer Food, Better Business to ensure compliance with legal
- Recognise the contents of good Hygiene and cleaning structures for your business.
Recommended System Requirements
• Browser: Up to date web browser
• Video: Up to date video drivers
• Memory: 1Gb+ RAM
• Download Speed: Broadband (3Mb+)
Duration: 50 minutes (Note: This is based on the amount of video content shown and is rounded off.
It does not account in any way for loading time or thinking time on the questions)